Christianity was themain religion in Egyptbetween the Fourth and Sixth Centuries.
Ancient Egyptians worshipped over 1,400 different gods and goddesses
Toilets were found in many ancient Egyptian tombs
The World’s Oldest Dress was found in Egypt and it is 5,000 years old
In the border between Egypt and Sudan, there are 795 sq miles (2,060 km2) of land unclaimed by neither.
Egyptian Pyramid workers were paid with beer: 1 gallon (4L) per day
Written language was invented independently by the Egyptians, Sumerians, Chinese, and Mayans
Sudan has more pyramids than Egypt
Cleopatra, the last Pharaoh of Egypt, was actually Greek, not Egyptian
The lost Egyptian city of Heracleion was found after 1200 years under the sea
United Kingdom, officially known as United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a sovereign state located at north-west Europe. United Kingdom has four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Let us know some interesting facts about United Kingdom
Interesting Facts About United Kingdom
- London has the credit for the first hot chocolate store ever opened.
- The English drink the most tea in the world.
- It is against the law to get drunk in a pub in England.
- In Scotland, it is against the law to get drunk and possess a cow.
- The conventional long form of the United Kingdom is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain includes England, Scotland and Wales.
- Many people use just the abbreviation UK.
- The conventional short form is the United Kingdom.
- UK mostly has knife edge ridges and high grounds with valleys in between. Thick glaciers from the Ice age are responsible for such a terrain.
- Almost 75% of the land in the UK is taken for farming.
- The highest point is Ben Navis at 1,343 m and the lowest point is -4m at The Fens.
- The United Kingdom happens to be the first industrialized country in the World.
- Polo, soccer and Rugby were introduced to the world by the UK.
- The British invented the world’s earliest railways.
- John Walker invented the matches in 1827. He was British.
- The Buckingham Palace has its own police station.
- The largest Royal home is the Windsor castle.
- Big Ben refers to the bell and not the clock.
- There are 4 world heritage sites in the UK. These include The west minister palace, The tower of London, Maritime Greenwich, Kew Botanical gardens. These interesting facts about United Kingdom Architecture are are really exciting.
Tube & The Underground
- In all of Western Europe, Angel tube station has the longest escalator.
- About 409 escalators are there in the subways.
- London bags the first place to have an underground subway system.
- The tube route from Leicester Square to Covent Garden can be covered quicker on foot. However this seems to be the most popular route tourists take.
- The tube route also happens to be the costliest and unreliable.
- Nelson Mandela called the spice girls his heroes when he met them.
- The Beatles originally called themselves the Blackjacks and then the Quarrymen.
- There is no portrait of William shakespeare painted, when he was alive.
- To make a billion dollars from writing books has been achieved by JK Rowling.
- From Canterbury to London, the bus route that Ian Flemming took inspired the 007 for James Bond.
- According to history, the London Bridge had indeed fallen down according to the old rhyme, when the Saxons had torn it down using ropes and boats.
- The Thames has over 200 bridges and tunnels along its course.
There are some interesting facts about United Kingdom related to animals:
- In Medieval England, animals were tried for their crimes and even punished for them.
- Pygg meant clay in Olden days. People stored their coins in these clay jars which later evolved to piggy banks.
- The Mute swans are officially owned by the Queen.
- The driver of the vehicle who kills a deer cannot eat it, but the person sitting beside can do so.
- The chickens outnumber the humans in UK
Indonesia, officially known as Republic of Indonesia is a country located in the Southeast Asia comprising of 17,508 islands. It is the 4th most populous country in the world, it is surrounded by Papua New Guinea, East Timor, and Malaysia. Let us know some interesting facts about Indonesia
Largest Archipelago and its Islands
- Indonesia is the largest Archipelago in the world. There are 17,000 islands, out of which 6000 are inhabited by people. New Guinea, Borneo (also known as Kalimantan), and Sumatra island are on the list of the top ten largest Islands in the world. With a population of almost 150 billion, Java is the most populous Island in the world.
- he Borobudur temple is located in Indonesia. It is the world’s largest Buddhist temple and was earlier one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
- Marco Polo was the first European to reach Indonesia. He had travelled in search of spices which were valuable commodities in his country.
- The Dutch kept Indonesia colonized for almost 350 years, owing to the fact that many old Indonesians speak Dutch fluently. Many Indonesian words have been derived from Dutch.
- The equator passes through Sumatra, making it a very popular tourist destination. The climate is hence equatorial with temperatures ranging 20-34 degree Celsius. The line cuts across islands Sumatra, Sulwesiand and Kalimantan along with a few other small Islands in the middle of the country.
The Ring of Fire
There are some interesting facts about Indonesia related to the ring of fire, here they are:
- Indonesia is a part of ‘The Ring of Fire’, the volcano group.
- About 75% of the volcanoes of the Ring of Fire are in Indonesia.
- The Mount Tambora erupted in 1815, which is the world’s most powerful volcanic eruption. It affected the global climate to such an extent that it was called ‘year without summer’
- Indonesia boasts of having the second highest level of Biodiversity. The longest snake ever found was in here of length 10 meters in 1912. The Mudskipper fish which can walk, hop, climb on trees and breathe on land is found here. The Rafflesia Arnoldi, otherwise called the Corps flower with a height of 5ft and a width of 4ft making it the largest flower blooms here and weighs around 7 kilos. The Komodo Island houses the Komodo dragon, which is a kind of a lizard and can grow up to 3 meters long. This is the only country to house dragons.
- There are around 300 ethnic groups. 583 languages and their dialects are spoken across the country. The formal language of the country is Bahasa Indonesia.
- Badminton along with soccer is the two popular games. These games suffer hugely from illegal gambling.